Monday 27 April 2015

A Time When I Persisted And Was Able To Turn The Long-held Dream Into Reality

It was a few years ago when I first started cycling. I remember the first time I took off on a two-wheeled bicycle on my own. I zoomed around the neighbourhood, with a big grin plastered on my face. Though I picked up the new skill, it was not easy learning. Father would push me around on the wobbly four-wheel bicycle and then remove one of the training wheels so that the bicycle had three wheels. After the "training sessions", he was often dripping with beads of perspiration and I, was left in tears, finding it too hard to even cycle on three wheels. One day, as I was over at my friends house with my parents, she mentioned cycling and brought me out to show me that she could cycle by herself-on a two-wheeled bicycle! I was filled with envy and wanted to prove that I could do it too. I mustered all my courage, took a deep breath and got on the bicycle. As I used strength to push down on the pedal, my mind filled with a thousand thoughts and my heart began racing. I had absolutely no idea what happened. I began to panic and my legs moved in a continuous movement to try to balance myself. And... I was cycling! I was actually cycling! The glory and sense of achievement felt was like winning the Olympics, or so I would imagine. My friend's dad exclaimed ecstatically,"Jane can cycle!" My parents were flabbergasted and turned around. They were in awe and their jaws dropped. Proud of me, they gave a round of applause. The next moment, boom! I had crashed. Although it did not turn out "as pretty as I thought it would have", I persisted and never gave up, turning my long-held cycling dream into a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment