Tuesday 20 January 2015

Poetic Device

Rhyme
They put me in the oven to bake.
Me a deprived and miserable cake.
Feeling the heat I started to bubble.
Watching the others I knew I was in trouble

They opened the door and I started my life.
Frosting me with a silver knife.
Decorating me with candy jewels.
The rest of my batch looked like fools.

Lifting me up, she took off my wrapper.
Feeling the breeze, I wanted to slap her.
Opening her mouth with shiny teeth inside.
This was the day this cupcake had died.

Alliteration

Garry’s giraffe gobbled gooseberryies greedily, getting good at grabbing goodies.

Onomatopoeia
whoosh, passing breeze
flags flutter and flap
frog croaks, bird whistles
babbling bubbles from tap

Simile
Your feet smell so bad
Just like limburger cheese
That I’m holding my nose tight
Between my two knees.

Metaphor
I look in the mirror at the beginning of each day, and ask myself what mask should I place on my face today.

No not the sad one it's too revealing, I don't want to show the world my true feelings.

For the mask that you can see camouflages the true me. 
It's my public face that I remove each night, when I bare my soul the mirrors light.

It's the one meant for only my eyes to see it speaks of all my history.

It tells of my youth and girlish ways, my adolescents and my young womans dreams.

It tells of good times of which I had my share of love lost and pain so hard to bear.

So I choose my mask so carefully, to cover the face that was given to me, the one that was meant for only my eyes to see.
Hyperbole
I’m bigger than the entire earth
More powerful than the sea
Though a million, billion have tried
Not one could ever stop me.
I control each person with my hand
and hold up fleets of ships.
I can make them bend to my will
with one word from my lips.
I’m the greatest power in the world
in this entire nation.
No one should ever try to stop
a child’s imagination.


Personification
Hey diddle, Diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed
To see such sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.

Imagery
The winter evening settles down
With smell of steaks in passageways.
Six o'clock.
The burnt-out ends of smoky days.
And now a gusty shower wraps
The grimy scraps
Of withered leaves about your feet
And newspapers from vacant lots;
The showers beat
On broken blinds and chimney-pots,
And at the corner of the street
A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps.
And then the lighting of the lamps.
Free Verse
After the Sea-Ship—after the whistling winds;
After the white-gray sails, taut to their spars and ropes,
Below, a myriad, myriad waves, hastening, lifting up their necks, 
Tending in ceaseless flow toward the track of the ship: 
Waves of the ocean, bubbling and gurgling, blithely prying,
Waves, undulating waves—liquid, uneven, emulous waves,
Toward that whirling current, laughing and buoyant, with curves, 
Where the great Vessel, sailing and tacking, displaced the surface.





No comments:

Post a Comment