Saturday 17 January 2015

Quek Hengxu and Deandra's Poetic Devices

Rhyme
eg. I get laughed at,
I get ignored,
I often feel trapped,
and keep my thoughts stored.
People can be cruel and very mean,
but no matter what, 
I follow my dreams

Life has waves,
I know that.
But I stand brave,
and just take the crap.
I may feel exhausted and totally creamed,
but no matter what,
I follow my dreams.

I know what I want,
and I won't stop trying.
Quitting? I can't,
for now I'm flying.
It's impossible, it seems,
but no matter what,
I follow my dreams...

Aliteration
eg. Rain
Rain races onto the porch
Hitting hard like
Rockets rushing in a race to the glass.
Rattling rain, rattling the window panes.
The droplets dance daintily
Until they cleverly connect in

A pool of promise for a rainbow.
Onomatopeia
eg. Bang, Splash, Boom, Ping, Pong etc.

Simile
eg. As cute as a kitten.
     As busy as a bee
     As blind as a bat

Metaphor
eg. Apple of my eye
      Bubbly personality
      Rollercoaster of emotions

Hyperbole
eg. I am so hungry I could eat a horse
      I have a million things to do
      I had a ton of homework

Personification
eg.  The stars danced playfully in the moonlit sky
      Time flew and before we knew it, it was time for me to go home
      The sun glared down at me from the sky
      
Symbolism
eg. In the spring, I asked the daisies
     If his words were true,
     And the clever, clear-eyed daisies
     Always knew.
     Now the fields are brown and barren,
     Bitter autumn blows,
     And of all the stupid asters
     Not one knows.
Imagery
eg.  On a starry winter night in Portugal
      Where the ocean kissed the southern shore
      There a dream I never thought would come to pass
      Came and went like time spent through an hourglass
      
       -Teena Marie, “Portuguese Love”

Free verse
eg. The fog comes
      on little cat feet

      It sits looking
      over harbour and city
      on silent haunches
      and then move on
   
      Fog by Carl Sandburg 

Allusion
eg. “I was surprised his nose was not growing like Pinocchio’s.” This refers to the story of          Pinocchio, where his nose grew whenever he told a lie. It is from The Adventures of              Pinocchio, written by Carlo Collodi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment